Kennettworld

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Why did the (plastic) chicken cross the road?.....

I came home from work today to a great idea - in a box! My mate June has sent me a plastic chicken for Christmas - a nice little yellow one, about an inch high, which I can put on top of my PC monitor. Why a chicken? Well, she sent me a gift from Farm Friends, a chairty that sends a plastic chicken to your mate, and REAL chicks to a family in Africa, who can use the eggs from the chickens for their own family (high in protein), and then any surplus eggs can be sold to provide income. They can breed from the chickens, and they get the chicks on a loan scheme - to repay the loan, they have to give some of the chicks they breed to another family, who are then blessed in return!

The great thing about this gift is simply that it just keeps on going. The whole idea of a gift is that you give it away, but somehow get blessed by both the giving and the knowledge of someone receiving something much better than socks!

For me this sums up the spirit of Christmas.

Pat's Thought for the Day
Wouldn't it be great if we could all give Christ at Christmas? Pray that He might be received by many this Special Season, for He is truly the Best Gift of All

2 Comments:

  • wow
    that's a great way to help people in Africa...
    I've heard of a similar thing with a goat (except you don't get a plastic goat), but it's a really cool idea anyway.

    By Blogger commentator33, at 9:49 pm  

  • That's a cool idea - and I think more and more people are doing that now. It's great to be able to bless other people too - and give a gift with greater value!

    Have you heard of a friendship cake? Someone gave me one several years ago...basically, you make it, and then pass on some of the mixture, and then your friend makes one - passes some on (you get the picture).....Well, I found one the other day - so may get around to making it sometime!

    However, Jesus is the best gift - and Christmas won't be Christmas without any Presence!

    By Blogger Penelope, at 12:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home