Kennettworld

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Did you ever have one of those days?

Yesterday started off pretty bad….

Wednesdays are usually long days at work for me. I think lots of counsellors try to stick to between 3-4 sessions per day, as it is quite exhausting work. On Wednesdays, I do 5, with an hour off for lunch in the middle, so it gets tiring on good days. Yesterday I had the frustration of the first 2 clients not turning up – one should have been an assessment, the other a client who also had not turned up last week, and made no response to my letter. So although I had some reading I could catch up on, I was mainly thinking about a load of things I could have been doing at home instead. Thankfully the other 3 turned up.

Got home, to discover that I had left my handbag in Reception at work – so I’ll have to pick it up when I go in later today….

And then the fun really started. We are currently getting prepped for Andy Ormesher to come and skim a plaster layer over the artex walls (yes, walls, not ceiling!) in our Hall. It’s only taken us 14 years to get around to doing anything about it ….. and so John is taking the opportunity to take some of the surface wiring in under the walls before Andy comes and we decorate. Lots of brick dust later, he’s found a conduit that goes up the main wall, and in theory goes up into the loft. From here, John could take the wiring back to my study… I won’t bore you with all the details, but suffice to say, the plan meant picking up a floorboard in the upstairs bathroom. John takes up a section of carpet, saws through a floorboard, one huge yell later, and water starts flooding the bathroom and dripping through the hall ceiling! A water pipe had been run virtually touching the floorboard, and John had sawn through it! Two stopcocks later, several sodden towels and some nifty work with a blow-lamp, and the damage is mostly repaired. He’s taking time off on Friday to get the job properly sorted!

The more we decorate this house, the more bodged wiring, plumbing and sheer convolutions we discover!

Thought for the Day:
Have you ever found that you try to fix one thing, only to create 4 more jobs in the process? I sometimes wonder if God feels like that in our lives – as soon as we try to do what He wants, four other problems surface? Thankfully, His “toolkit” does not depend on when B & Q shuts; neither does His patience wear thin. He is able to bring every skill required to work in our lives. And He is constantly, wonderfully, creating us to bear the image of His Son, and never gives up on us as a bad job

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home