Kennettworld

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Checking the turtle bot...

As my study is upstairs, it is my normal nighttime routine to check my e-mail there one last time before I go to bed. This has now expanded to include all my "link" blogs"! It's a great way to catch up on all that's happening with you guys, maybe add a comment or two, and go to sleep with a few prayer requests running through my mind...

My Supervisor at work would probably say that this is an example of me in "Mother Hen mode"! The need is strong to watch over things, and I know that I am "just checking". It's a phrase which infuriates my sons somewhat - they consider themselves far too grown up to need "checking" - and on the whole, they're right.

But I am reminded of one of the first times we were shown that Andy (our 18 year old) had a flair with computers. He was in Junior school ( aged about 10), and they were using a small PC to make a turtle bot (small robot with felt-tip pens!) move around a large sheet of paper, and draw very basic straight line shapes. Andy's teacher noticed that when the rest of the students entered some co-ordinates into the programme, they would type in one line of code, and then stop to watch if they'd "got it right", and then move onto the next bit, Andy was different. He would type in the whole code, and once in a while just glance over at the paper - to make sure that the bot was doing what he had said. The attitude was one of confidence and trust in his own programming, rather than a slight anxiety that he might have got it wrong.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could be trusted in such a way with God's commands to us? I know that Father "never slumbers nor sleeps", but what if he could trust us so much, that He really only needed to glance at us once in a while, confident that something he has left with us will be done without worry, questioning or rebellion?

Pat's Thought for the day:
"To obey is better than sacrifice". Let it be with joy, confident that what God asks us to do, he equips us to do

2 Comments:

  • that's a great great thought Pat
    I love it - it's really challenging though - I wonder how much God trusts me...

    Even though He knows I will make mistakes, I still want Him to trust me. How much more does He want me to trust Him who never ever makes a mistake.

    Thanks Pat
    God Bless
    shasa

    By Blogger commentator33, at 9:02 pm  

  • 'Mother Hen'? - I think it's more of a 'Mother in Israel'.

    Thanks Pat, for your love, prayers and inspiration - and for keeping an eye on us all!

    Love
    Pen x

    By Blogger Penelope, at 7:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home