Kennettworld

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The King's Chambers...

I loved the concept in today's 40 Days of Purpose chapter - that God wants to be our friend.

It is an awesome thing to consider - that He would ever want us to be that close.

I remember going on a visit to Hampton Court a few years ago, and we went on a costumed tour ( the Guide was in costume, not us!), and he showed us into The King's Chambers. There were in fact three rooms, all of them called Chambers, virtually identical in layout, and you had to pass through the first to go into the second, and through the second to go into the third. Each room had very little furniture in it, save for a large throne in each, backed up against the far wall. Over the throne was a canopy, and the rule was, that if you were "granted an audience", then you could approach the throne, but not go any further than the canopy. This was carefully measured to be a sword's width away from the king, in case anyone had any mad ideas about assassination.

The Second room was slightly more elaborate - the light was just that more sparkly, and the furnishings just a bit more ornate. Again, there was a second throne, in case the king wished to give his audiences here. And the third room was the most elaborate of all - totally over the top in the richness of the wall decorations etc.

But beyond this third room was a tiny room, which was in fact the King's Bedchamber, and from here only the most trusted of servants were granted the privilege of seeing the king. If anything, it was a little disappointing in its simplicity. But here, the king was himself, and invited only those he most trusted into his most important conversations.

John 15:13-15 says;
"You are my friends if you obey me. I no longer call you slaves, for a master doesn't confide in his slaves; now you are my friends, proved by the fact that I have told you everything the Father told me"


Pat's Thought for the Day:
Friends talk; they don't throw rocks at each other; they believe each other; they trust each other.
It's terribly basic, but sometimes I have to remember that this is how God treats me, and how I must treat Him

1 Comments:

  • ok own up, who wrote the above comment trying to be me?! I didn't write it, so who is the mystery Lisa?!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 7:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home