Kennettworld

Monday, September 19, 2005

A new chapter...

For those of you who’ve been asking – and there have been many! – the trip to Huddersfield went very well. I have to confess, though, that it was very hard to leave Andy there, harder than I could have honestly tried to imagine (which I avoided beforehand)

He is in a Student house in the Ashenhurst Student Village, and in the brief phone call we had with him yesterday, he seems to be sharing with quite an international bunch! I know there is a Chinese guy, and someone from Malaysia, and I think one French and one German. Having had to go into the town on the Sunday to buy plates, bowls and cutlery (!) he seems to be managing OK. Will keep you posted.

Made me think, though. Many people say to others experiencing difficulties, “I can’t imagine how you must be feeling”. As a Counsellor, I am supposed to be able to do just that. No, I would never say “I know exactly how you feel”, but we have to do a great deal to actively imagine what another person is going through (it’s called Advanced Empathy), weighing up how others in similar situations have faced things, and trying to assess if this is more or less than what might be considered “normal”. I know that this might seem unfeeling, but it’s actually anything but. People have a deep need to believe that others can go through similar situations and survive, whilst at the same time understanding that their own journey is unique to them.

But what I found difficult over this weekend was the huge sense of loss, even though I know I will see Andy again. The house feels very weird, and I realise how much of a team player Andy was. When we find ourselves doing everyday tasks that he would normally take in his stride, each one is a reminder of his absence.

Yet this is nothing compared to what I imagine others I know, love and pray for are going through. My friend Helen losing her husband Chris at such a young age was devastating; Sarah and Daniel – my prayer levels have definitely gone up several gears there since the weekend - and the changes for Neil are also immense. It feels so inadequate, but we love you, and do pray for you, that the comfort of God will be steady as a rock, and very real.

Pat’s Thought for the Day:
Hebrews 4:15-16
15 We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all — all but the sin. 16 So let's walk right up to him and get what He is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help.
(from THE MESSAGE: )

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home