Kennettworld

Monday, June 20, 2005

Dead-heading...

The phrase ”dead-heading “ sounds awful, but for the gardeners amongst you (Lisa’s mum, for example!), it is an important and highly necessary step in the growth process of flowering plants.

Take two plants I currently have – one is my fabulous “Compassion” climbing rose in my back garden, and another is a wonderful hanging basket I have - soon to be placed outside my front door – so locals, keep your eyes peeled!!

Both of these plants have the most wonderful flowers, but they also have dead flowers on them. The rose naturally sheds dead petals, and the ground underneath the bush is littered with what appears to be pale pink snow. But the hanging basket (filled with amazing blue double-surfinias, called “Priscilla”!!) hangs onto the dead flowers until I come along and gently pull them off. I am now doing this on a daily basis, for two very good reasons. One, I don’t want to spoil the fabulous effect of the flowers with brown dead flowers; and two, every time I remove a dead flower, the nutrients and water I have carefully put into the soil are used up in something that is alive, rather than something already dead.

Pat’s Thought for the Day:
God has to prune out dead things in our lives. We rarely allow Him to do this regularly enough, but we easily use up what He has placed in our lives on something that may never bear fruit. If God challenges you to remove something from your life, (or let Him do it for you), you can be assured that it will always be to promote growth, even though it might not initially appear so.

Are you wasting energy on something in your life that is dying, or already dead?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home