Kennettworld

Monday, February 28, 2005

Knitting...

I love many kinds of needlecraft, but one I've recently gone back to is knitting.

I'm making a rather special doll for a special little person (mentioning no names), and all was going well. Apart, that is, from 2 rows. One piece of the dress looked kind of strange when I started to put it together, but I thought - "it looks OK, I'll leave it"

Well, when it came to making it up, it definitely wasn't OK. I tried a number of ways to make it right, but eventually decided that it would be a start-all over-job. I spent much of yesterday resting (with this rotten cough and cold), so had a chance to make a start on the new piece. Then when I had to get up at 3 am (lem-sip time), I had total quiet in which to repeat the particularly tricky section which had caused all the problem first time around.

How many times, I wonder, do I mess things up, trying to believe that it's not that important, and that I will be able to work things out when I need to? How many times have I settled for second best, when what really needed to happen was to let the failure go, and allow God to help me start over?

The beauty of it was that I realised that it was in the stillness and quietness that God helped me unravel and re-knit what needed to be done. It was not done in public, to add to a sense of failure and exposure. And this was only about a small piece of knitting.

How much more does God want us to be in close relationship with him, so that when problems come, we go straight to Him to sort things out, rather than hold onto worry and anxiety, hoping that things will work out, when deep down, we know it's only compounding the problem?

Pat's Thought for the Day:
When things go wrong with what you know of The Plan, go back to where it was last right. It's often the spot where something got dropped, ignored or forgotten that does the damage. Never be afraid to ask God for help to "pick up the stitches", and then carry on.

1 Comments:

  • Pat, I love today's 'Thought'. I remember Jean May's brother Clive always used to say that to his congregation - "If God hasn't told you the next step, go back to what He last told you, and be faithful in that - until He leads you onto the next step."

    By Blogger Penelope, at 7:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home