Kennettworld

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Silly Season...

It’s Silly Season - With A Vengeance.

That time of year when so much has to be done “in the run-up to Christmas”, and I have managed to get thoroughly caught up with it this year. Take this last week, for instance…..

Last Sunday morning John flew out to Oslo on business. On Monday morning we had a really busy time at Oaks and Acorns ( the playgroup I help out at), and then we went straight from there to do some shopping for the Oaks and Acorns Christmas party next Monday. From there I went back to my sister and Mum’s’ house. I enjoy wrapping presents, so offered to help them with their presents. What with stocking presents and all, I ended up wrapping around 85 presents before finally leaving late Monday night.

I expected John back earlier on today, but in fact things went pretty well, and he managed to scramble a flight home for Tuesday night. Brilliant – except that I was supposed to be down at church attending a masterclass in present-wrapping ready to help out at The Meadows this coming Saturday ( as if I hadn’t already had a fair bit of practise at wrapping the night before). Dashed home – John was home around 8.30 pm.

Wednesday – John has to work up at BBC Television Centre all day – and half the night as well – finally getting home just before midnight. Meanwhile, it’s silly season at work, and of the 5 hours I was scheduled to spend with 5 clients, only 2 turned up, plus a third cancellation got changed into an assessment session. I ended up having to stay there the whole time, as my 2nd and 4th clients had cancelled, but I had to do sessions 1,3 & 5.

Thursday – John gets a very early e-mail from Norway – the system has crashed, and it’s looking like he will have to go back to Oslo in the next few days. I try to go to the Ladies Bible Study, but once there, ended up spending most of the morning session with a lady in great distress. I think God had set it up, though. Then struggled with some photocopying, as the 2 copiers I had access to both wouldn’t work. Went into town to buy some more stuff for the Party bags at Oaks next Monday, and ended up getting the copying done at the local Staples store. Went from there to drop off the party fillers to Mum, only to discover that she had been hoping I might drop in so that she could run her sermon for next Tuesday’s Christmas Lunch at our Luncheon Club past me. Won’t spoil it for anyone, but they’re in for a treat, and it was a great pick-me-up in the middle of the day. Dashed home, got a meal in the oven, then off to the night shift at work. Came home to John having not only done the Tesco shopping _ I had expected to do it tomorrow, although in fairness, John usually does this every week, provided he’s physically in the UK….. as well as some beautiful roses from him…

Tomorrow is baking day for the party, and more food shopping with Rhi – hopefully with a night off…

Saturday is Christmas wrapping in the Meadows, after getting our Christmas tree from the local Garden Centre. Decorate it in the afternoon, followed by a friend’s birthday party….

Sunday – probably at both morning services, and my niece is singing a solo at the Nursery Nativity at 11.15…. then it’s a quick lunch before getting John off to Stansted again…then back to the evening service and start setting up for the party on Monday morning…

Monday – getting John’s car off for it’s service, before then going to church for party day… then scheduled for a haircut at 1 pm, home for a few hours, pick up John’s car, then spending a few hours with a friend who needs a little help with a psychology essay….making sure I’ve sent off an e-mail to Andy – it’s his 19th birthday today….

Tuesday – work, 4 clients, Group Supervision, dash home and get ready to host our Small Group Christmas Social…

Wednesday – work, 5 more clients…then crash………………………..

Silly Season – With A Vengeance…..


Pat’s Thought for the Day:

And in my spare time……. In my spare time I try to remember that God entered our world with the minimum of fuss, no trappings or trimmings, and very simply. And that somewhere in all of this madness I need to make sure I talk to Him, spend time with Him, and re-charge my spiritual as well as physical batteries. For in all the busyness, the Creator of the Universe is waiting, just for me…..

4 Comments:

  • Pheww I'm worn out just reading about you busy week!

    By Blogger Helen, at 7:57 am  

  • I'll have to have a word with your husband about his flower-buying habit.

    Making the rest of us blokes look bad!

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 9:43 am  

  • All that in a week!!

    You sound like Wonderwoman...

    By Blogger SarahB, at 7:32 pm  

  • The thought that came to me to meditate on with my frantic week as i was listening to a worship tape in the car was 'weary of well doing' I have been meditating on that and determined to rest in the lord over the christmas holiday.

    By Blogger Nicole's Psalm, at 3:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home