Kennettworld

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Birthday Blog....

Thought I’d best update a little re; my birthday – my 48th, if you REALLY want to know! The Big Five-Oh loometh ever closer….

Anyway, John simply told me that we were going to London on the Friday before my birthday on the Sunday, and that he would sort out lunch. There we were, happily poodling off on the train towards Liverpool Street, when he suddenly says at Stratford, ”we’re getting off here”. Another first – a trip on the Docklands Light Railway, though the maze of Canary Wharf, and then we stopped off at the Cutty Sark. This led onto a fabulous and leisurely trip up the Thames by boat to Westminster. Then we got the tube back to St. Paul’s, where John “wanted to see what they’ve done since they cleaned up the front of St Paul’s”…

So I’m busy looking up, when a voice behind me says “And what are you doing here, Mrs Kennett?” Nearly jumped out of my skin, and then realized it was John’s elder brother David! He was there with his friend Celia – all p-re-planned of course – and John took us over to a small grassy area just outside St Paul’s for “lunch”. Out of his rather heavy (I should have been more suspicious) rucksack, he spread a wonderful picnic, Mary-Poppin-like, for the 4 of us. He then produced a DVD of modern Shakespeare plays for me – in the back of which were two tickets to that afternoon’s performance at The Globe of “Comedy of Errors”! Needless to say, David and Celia also had tickets right next to us!

Thoroughly enjoyed the most wonderful farce on stage, even though it was staggeringly hot. Then we went for a listen to some brilliant Street musicians at Convent Garden. This was topped by grabbing something to eat at a local pizza express, followed by a leisurely walk to Trafalgar Square, and then onto Westminster. It was lovely seeing folk just dangling their feet in the fountains beside Nelson’s Column, relaxing at the end of s working week, or a hard day as a tourist.

Fabulous day out – and then we went to see the film “Storm breaker” to round off a great weekend. (Highly recommended – a 14-year old version of James Bond, who gets his mission gadgets from a backroom in Hamley’s! Brilliant!!)

I will try and post a photo of the Globe with this, but if not, can someone advise me how to post pics up here – seems to have thrown a complete wobbly on me for weeks on end now. Any solutions, Bloggers??

1 Comments:

  • Hi Pat, glad you had a good birthday, with photos I can't upload anything the usual way but if you save the picture, click the link on my blog 'how to put pictures on blog/ template' this takes you to image shack - click browse,click on picture click 'host it' it then gives you the code, copy the one for websites,and paste at top of your post, clear? as mud?! well have a go with it, have fun!

    By Blogger Helen, at 5:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home