Kennettworld

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Toothless...

The dreaded appointment arrived today - yes, yours truly had one seriously decayed tooth removed this morning. I can't say "pulled", as it wasn't that straightforward. I also needed 3 injections, but for the squeamish amongst you, that's where I'll leave the story...!

It's been a rollercoaster week, trying to start an understanding of where I might be with a life-changing diagnosis. To keep things in perspective, I am beginning to appreciate that attitudes and approaches to diabetes are very different today from where they were years ago. I also need to understand that many other folk suffer from far more difficult conditions, and do so with more courage and grace than I think I'd have.

But if I've learned one thing as a Counsellor, it's that comparisons with other people, and other situations, can be a two-edged sword. Sometimes it banishes the fear of isolationism - at least I know I'm not alone in this. But conversely, no-one else has walked this particaulr pathway in exactly the same way as me, for I am unique. It is important to hold these apparently opposing viewpoints in tension.

And in a strange way, I now have two gaps to think about - the one where I once had a tooth, and the other, a life without diabetes. Very different in scope, but I'll have to adjust to them both. Both impact what I eat, and the way I eat!!

I've also begun to appreciate that I tend to want things done quickly, and yesterday if at all possible! I'm not always so good at disciplining myself for the long-haul. But after a shaky start to the week, I have now managed to catch up to date with a little backlog on 40 days reading, and feel better for it. I am also learning a little more each day about myself, and the need to pace things more evenly, rather than at a madcap speed which is not good for me ( or anyone, really!)

Pat's Thought for The Day:
Sometimes we experience gaps and losses. Not all of these are negative! They often mean we have to adjust, adapt and appreciate what remains, and grow as a result.

1 Comments:

  • Pat,

    I do not underestimate how you may be feeling this week. You may not feel this right now but your honesty in this situation is a very powerful witness to God. This is probably the hardest time trying to readjust to new needs having different considerations and a multitude of information to take in... but as you know God will be with you through each and every of the minutest details.

    You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

    :-)

    Sarah

    By Blogger SarahB, at 11:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home