Kennettworld

Monday, March 14, 2005

Aunty Pat....

As a child, I grew up in a loving, warm, friendly church in the Rhondda Valley. This church became my second home, and I knew most of the people who attended by name. Most of the adults carried the honorific title "aunt" or "uncle" to me, and I shall be forever grateful to many of these prayer warriors who saw me through some of the milestones of my childhood and adolescence. Whenever anyone asked who they were, I would reply, "they're not my REAL aunt, you know"!

But it's only in recent years that I have come to value how precious it is to be Aunty Pat. I have 5 nieces and 2 nephews, all of whom I love dearly, and some of whom I have the pleasure of seeing on a very regular basis. It is not a relationship I take for granted, but have pleasure in working at, to hopefully be someone special in their lives, however young or old.

But I have also noticed something else recently. There are a number of not so young people, some adults even, who call me Aunty Pat. And for me, this "term of endearment" is much more graphic than merely being "the sister of your mother or father" ( which is how most dictionaries define it). I have always disliked the epithet "Agony Aunt", as being something actually quite remote and distant. I like to get alongside people, one-on-one, and just spend quiet times together. God is allowing me to do that more often, which is fantastic.

So whether it's being with my actual family, or God's extended one, I think I like being an Aunty very much indeed.

Pat's Thought for the Day;
It is said that friends are the family we would have chosen, if we could. Cherish them often; hug when you can; encourage always. Wherever possible, put it in writing, as words can be stolen with time and distance. Incredibly, God calls us both family and friends...Amazing...


2 Comments:

  • Pat,

    Your auntyness is a blessing to our fellowship and has been to me personally. I too used to have many "aunties" and "uncles" those people who I knew cared about me and made me feel warm,loved and secure. So it is a very precious gift.

    Hugs,

    :-)

    Sarah

    By Blogger SarahB, at 12:40 am  

  • The time is an hour behind sorry. Friendship takes time and should be nurtured. What's good is a friend is chosen. I do appreciate you for who you are.

    By Blogger Nicole's Psalm, at 8:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home